My guest today is Dr. Josh Axe. Dr. Axe is a nutritionist, chiropractic doctor, and author with a passion to help people get well using food as medicine and runs one of the world’s largest natural health websites DrAxe.com.
He has been featured on many television shows, including the Dr. Oz Show, CBS and NBC. Dr. Axe has worked with the Wellness Advisory Council and traveled to the 2012 Games in London to work with US athletes. Dr. Axe specializes in herbal medicine, nutrition, digestive health and athletic performance.[bctt tweet=” “If all disease begins in the gut, all health begins in the gut as well” Dr. Josh Axe”]
He is the author of the new book Eat Dirt – This might be a surprising title for you, but don’t worry he explains what led him to choose the title and write this book in the interview.
We also talk about leaky gut – the causes, how to heal it and Dr. Axe’s 5 gut types. You may be surprised to hear how many health issues are related to your gut!
Topics discussed today include:
- The difference between fitness and health that inspired Dr. Axe to become a doctor
- How following a natural protocol drastically improved his mother’s health including her cancer going into remission
- Dr. Axe started one of the largest functional medicine clinics in Nashville, TN, after being inspired by his mother’ story
- Steps for changing health
- Start with diet, what is for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Find ways to reduce stress like walks and healing baths
- Pick 5 or 6 of the best supplements
- In Eat Dirt, Dr. Axe tries to bring out the root cause of disease and heal the microbiome
- Science says we need to get more dirt in our diet
- There are soil based probiotics that we need in our diet
- Micro exposures to dirt like walking barefoot, or having a pet, or eating raw honey helps with natural immunizations
- How gut health is key to overall health
- Gut grenades – kill off good microorganisms
- hand sanitizers
- personal care products
- cleaning products
- The A-Bomb of killing gut microorganisms is antibiotics
- To heal the gut, start with diet
- Avoid sugar
- Avoid conventional grains
- Sprouting and fermenting grains is the best way to consume them
- Avoid hydrogenated oils
- Eat bone broth – it’s high in amino acids that repair the gut lining
- New product, bone broth protein in a powder form
- Eat fermented vegetables like sauerkraut or kimchi
- Eat fermented dairy, like goat’s milk kefir
- Eat steamed vegetables and food rich in omega 3s like salmon
- Perfect meal, cooked vegetables, organic meat, and bone broth
- Make it as easy for your body to digest food as possible, cooking vegetables makes digestion easy
Gut health affects overall health. Diet and lifestyle changes are the easiest ways to improve gut health. There are different gut types, and Dr. Josh Axe goes over these in his book, Eat Dirt. Avoiding toxins and improving gut health can help the body heal.
Mentioned on today’s show:
Additional links to check out:
- TheSkinQuiz.com – Get your customized skin profile. It’s free, and based upon your answers, it will give you great tips for glowing skin and vibrant health.
If you enjoyed this show please leave a review on iTunes.