Our guest Dr. Kellyann Petrucci is a weight loss and natural anti-aging expert that wants to help you lose weight. She runs a private practice in the Birmingham, Michigan area and is the author of six books, including Paleo for Dummies and the upcoming Dr. Kellyann’s Bone Broth Diet. You also might recognize Kellyann from her appearances on The Doctors and Dr. Oz.
In today’s podcast Dr. Kellyann shares with us:
- 2 hidden reasons why people have trouble losing weight
- 3 fat burning foods you can eat to lose weight, strike a healthy balance in your body, and reboot your system
- Her personal bone broth recipe
Want to learn how to make healthy bone broth at home? Find out Kellyann’s personal recipe at the 30-minute mark.
2 Hidden Reasons that Hold Back Weight Loss
Chronic inflammation is one of the primary reasons why people gain and retain weight. Fat cells are inflammatory, and this inflammation only breeds more inflammation which can prevent you from being able to lose weight. The result is a harmful cycle of inflammation that is related to a lot of other health problems in addition to weight gain, including heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
A Sick Gut
The lining of your gut is filled with bacteria (bugs) that together create what is known as a microbiome. A healthy microbiome is essential in maintaining a healthy weight or in helping you lose weight. Certain medication, processed foods, stress hormones, microwaved and sugary foods all disrupt the balance of your microbiome, and make gaining weight much easier.
It is scientifically proven that your microbiome has everything to do with whether you’re going to be slim or heavy.
Luckily, the cells within your body regenerate every 21 days, giving you an opportunity to create healthy organs in this time period. Eating right over the course of 21 days can help to stabilize your blood sugar, reduce inflammation, and heal your gut.
3 Types of Food to Get Your Microbiome Back on Track
- Protein: Dr. Kellyann recommends having a little bit of protein with every meal. Proteins have conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) that help burn belly fat.
- Probiotic and Prebiotic Foods: Probiotic fermented foods help repopulate your microbiome with healthy bugs. Dr. Kellyann recommends kimchi, coconut kefir, and unpasteurized pickles (the kind that needs to be stored in the fridge). Prebiotic foods, such as asparagus and jicama, help good bugs multiply.
- Bone Broth: Contains glycine, which has anti-inflammatory effects. Cooked collagen in bones help heal your gut.
Dr. Kellyann’s Bone Broth Recipe
1. Put an uncooked rotisserie chicken in a pot.
2. Add very coarsely chopped carrots, one stalk of celery, and a peeled onion.
3. Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
4. Add a stock of lemongrass (optional) or anything else you’d like for extra flavoring.
5. Heat in a slow cooker for about 12 hours.
The same recipe can be used to make bone broth in a stockpot or a pressure cooker (you’ll need to adjust the cooking time).
Links to Check Out
Dr. Kellyann Petrucci
Dr. Kellyann Petrucci has run her own practice specializing in weight loss and anti-aging for two decades in addition to being a prolific writer. An author of six books, Dr. Kellyann is also a regular contributor to the Huffington Post and MindBodyGreen. She has appeared as a subject matter expert on how to lose weight on popular television shows, such as The Doctors and Dr. Oz, and her latest book, Dr. Kellyann’s Bone Broth Diet, will be released this December.