Our guest Dr. Daniel Amen is a psychiatrist and the founder of Amen Clinics. Dr. Amen is an expert in brain health, and explains to us how improving the health of our brains can lead to a better, healthier, and more successful life. He stresses that you are not stuck with the brain you have, and that you can create a healthy brain (and life) by engaging in healthy lifestyle and diet habits.
You’ll also learn in this conversation:
- Factors that harm our brains
- Factors, foods, and supplements that promote brain health
- His personal recipe for a brain-healthy breakfast
How much caffeine is harmful to your skin and brain? Find out at the 6 minute mark.
What harms your brain?
- Head injuries
- Drugs and alcohol
- Being overweight
- Having diabetes, hypertension, or eating too much sugar
- Sleeping fewer than 7 hours each night
What helps your brain?
- Being conscious of brain health
- Clean air
- Interacting with emotionally healthy people
- Diet and supplements
Diet and Supplements
Dr. Amen stresses that what you eat has an enormous impact on your brain. He recommends a diet that is roughly 70% plant based and 30% high quality protein with healthy fat. Specific brain-healthy foods and supplements he recommends are:
- Nuts and seeds
- Organic blueberries and raspberries
- Cooked herbs and spices (e.g. sage, turmeric, garlic, oregano, basil)
- Grilled or baked wild fish at least once a week
- Omega 3 fatty acids: Balance of 60% EPA and 40% DHA. The recommended dosage is 1 gram/day for children and 3 grams/day for adults.
- Vitamin D
Quick and Easy Recipe for a Brain-Healthy Breakfast
1. Take half of a cored avocado.
2. Put an egg in the center.
3. Microwave for 1 minute. That’s it!
A Word on Caffeine
Caffeine constricts blood flow, so it’s not great for the skin and not great for the brain either. A little bit of coffee (½ cup each day) is OK, but 4-5 per day will prematurely age you.
About Amen Clinics
Amen Clinics treats everything from autism and ADHD, to anxiety disorders, Alzheimer’s disease, depression, and everything in between. In treating patients, Dr. Amen analyzes four different areas:
- Biological Factors
- Psychological Makeup
- Social Circle
- Spiritual Parts
This combined with brain imaging provides an overall view of your brain health and acts as a map that tells you where you are and gives you direction on where to go. The aim is to give patients all the tools they need to optimize brain function, and in turn become more consistent, reliable, successful, and loving.
Links to Check Out
More About Dr. Daniel Amen
Dr. Daniel Amen is a double board certified psychiatrist, and the founder and director of Amen Clinics. Hailed as “the most popular psychiatrist in America” by the Washington Post, Dr. Amen is the author of over 30 books, including the New York Times Bestsellers The Daniel Plan and Change Your Brain, Change Your Life.