Before jumping into what Amber skin type means, let start with – you’re a person not just a skin type. For that reason, your skin type has a human name rather than a skin diagnosis or the typical label you may have seen. This way we can take a holistic view of your health into account and address your skin’s root issues for healthier, more vibrant skin.
If you’re like Amber, after going in the sun, your skin pigments appear in certain areas of your skin in the form of freckles, melasma, age spots, liver spots, or uneven skin tone. Sunscreen helps prevent more, but once these characteristics appear, they usually linger. You may have tried skin-lightening creams and treatments only to find that you then have to be extra cautious going in the sun because you’re even more prone to hyperpigmentation.
I realize how frustrating this can be, so here are a few suggestions that should help address the root causes of your skin issues with a holistic approach.
For Amber skin types…
1. Protect your skin: You want to prevent pigmentation changes to your skin because they’re signs of sun damage, and they can signal internal disturbances. So, protect your skin from excess sun exposure by limiting your time in the sun during peaks hours, wearing hats and using a high quality mineral sunblock made with natural ingredients.
2. Manage your stress: Amber-types are affected by the stress hormone cortisol. This adrenal hormone increases when you’re stressed and triggers inflammatory pathways in the body, including worsening hyperpigmentation. Enjoy daily techniques to curb stress, like breath-work, yoga and other stress-management exercises.
3. Balance hormones: Certain types of hyperpigmentation such as melasma are triggered by pregnancy, birth control pills, and hormone therapy. Changes in women’s sex hormones (estrogen and progesterone) trigger extra melanin production during sun exposure, leading to melasma. So, make sure you eat foods from the cruciferous vegetable family to help with hormone balance, such as broccoli, turnips, cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, collards, mustard greens, radishes, and rutabaga. The glucosinolates in these vegetables, in particular, indole-3-carbinol increases the liver’s ability to metabolize estrogen by almost 50 percent. Lightly steaming these vegetables will improve their nutrient absorbability.
4. Increase your antioxidants: Since oxidative damage from sun and pollutants can worsen uneven skin tone, it’s smart to increase your antioxidant intake by including colorful fresh fruits, veggies, legumes and other high antioxidant rich foods in your diet every day. Here are some of my favorites: berries, avocados, black beans, chia seeds, and wild salmon. Since diet alone is sometimes not enough, consider taking an antioxidant-rich supplement such as Astaxanthin Omega Krill Supplement.
5. Use high quality skincare. Nourish and protect your skin on the outside by using skincare containing natural actives, antioxidants and organic ingredients. For Amber skin types, I recommend using all four steps of The Spa Dr.’s Daily Essentials both morning and night.
The recommendations above are not intended to take the place of seeing a doctor. It’s best to work directly with a healthcare provider who can help assess skin issues in-person.
My goal is to provide you with lifestyle recommendations to help you achieve glowing skin, natural beauty and the confidence that follows. Check your inbox over the next few days for more information from me on how to enhance your skin from the inside out.
If you have any questions about your skin type or the ways you can holistically improve your skin, please feel free to book a free skincare consult call. I love helping women (and men too!) achieve naturally radiant skin and vibrant health.
To your glowing skin,
Key features of the “Amber” skin type
◃ Hyperpigmentation (darkening of skin in certain areas)
◃ Melasma (brown or gray-brown patches that usually appear on the cheeks, bridge of the nose, forehead, or upper lip); also called the “mask of pregnancy” but can plague individuals who are not pregnant
◃ Uneven skin tone
WHAT I RECOMMEND
Below are the 3 best products for AMBER Skin Types. Using these on a daily basis will alleviate the common AMBER skin problems.
Daily Essentials 4-Step Skincare System
Daily Solar Protective Moisturizer 30 2.5oz: DeVita Professional Skin Care
The Spa Dr.™ Astaxanthin + Omega Krill 60 Capsules
Medical Disclaimer: Information provided in this quiz and assessment is for informational purposes only. The information is a result of years of practice and experience by Trevor Cates, ND. However, this information is NOT intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional, or any information contained on or in any product.
Do not use the information provided in this assessment for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your health care provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read in this email.
Information provided in this assessment and the use of any related products or services by you does not create a doctor-patient relationship between you and Trevor Cates, ND. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.