The spirit of Thanksgiving is family, friends, love, inclusion, gratitude, and, last but not least, fabulous food!
Thanksgiving is my favorite, and I’m sure it is a favorite for many of you as well! Because regardless of religious or spiritual beliefs, Thanksgiving is about us coming together for a delicious meal. It is about us being surrounded by the people we love, to celebrate family and friendship. The only downside to this holiday is the danger of experiencing a Thanksgiving “Food Coma.” That dreaded food coma is caused by overindulgence in the traditional unhealthy Thanksgiving recipes. I’m here to tell you that your feast doesn’t have to leave you feeling stuffed like a turkey!
It’s no secret, but many people forget that if you stick with fresh whole foods, you’ll notice there are many nutrient-rich food ingredients in traditional Thanksgiving recipes. These wholesome foods won’t trigger your body to divert massive energy and blood flow to aid digestion after your feast – which will help you avoid that dreaded Thanksgiving Food Coma.
Over the years, along with my friends and family, we’ve taken traditional recipes and omitted ingredients that tax the digestive system and then replaced them with nutritious ingredients that taste amazing and help you stay healthy!
Here are 8 traditional Thanksgiving recipes with a healthy twist — to keep you energized so you can stay engaged in the festivities and enjoy the company of your family and friends all-day long:
POMEGRANATE & WALNUT ANTIOXIDANT-RICH SALAD
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup fresh or dried (no sugar added) organic blueberries
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tbsp balsamic or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ground pepper and a pinch of salt (to taste)
- fresh oregano, basil, or other herbs of choice
MOM'S RAD SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- 6 large sweet potatoes or yams
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tangerine divided into segments
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup dried shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
NATURALLY SWEETENED CRANBERRY SAUCE
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg, all-spice, and/or cinnamon
- 2 tbsp honey (or stevia as a substitute)
LEMON & DILL GREEN BEANS
- 1 pound green beans, cut & prepped
- 3-4 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- ¼ tsp Celtic or Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
CREAMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrot
- ¼ – ½ tsp ground cumin Celtic or Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups free-range chicken stock
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk
ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
- 1 pint Brussels sprouts, cleaned and left whole
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
GARLIC MASHED "POTATOES"
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk or grass-fed milk
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp grass-fed butter
- ½ tsp fresh chives
- Celtic or Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
PUMPKIN PIE (DAIRY-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, ORGANIC)
- ¼ - ½ cup raw sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp Celtic or Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 large organic free-range eggs
- 1 can (15 oz.) organic unsweetened pumpkin
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 unbaked organic, gluten-free 9-inch deep-dish pie shell
The Spa Dr.® Approach
At The Spa Dr.®, our approach is to help shine the light on skin care information and offer guidance to nurture your skin care journey. We believe the information we provide will help support your self-care and healing, and we want you to feel safe and cared for within our community!
The Spa Dr.® offers natural skin care products that are safe and free from chemicals and toxins, which disrupt hormones. The Spa Dr.® products are specially formulated to contain key nutrients in their pure and active form to provide optimal results. In addition, our products are pH balanced towards mild acidity to promote a healthy skin microbiome.
If you are not already part of The Spa Dr. community, we invite you to join us on social media.
Do you have a favorite healthy holiday recipe you’d like to share? Please feel free to add the recipe (or a link to it) in the comments below.
In great gratitude to you all, I wish you a very Happy Healthy Thanksgiving!