Back in December, I did an episode of The Spa Dr. podcast interviewing Dr. Amy Killen on PRP Facials and Stem Cells. It was a fascinating interview, and I decided to undergo the PRP Facial myself so I could share the experience. I really enjoyed learning more about the procedure and I was thrilled with the results. With all of the comments and questions that followed my procedure, I decided to do this follow-up post to give a little more information and share some before and after videos.
What is a Vampire Facial?
The Vampire Facial, popularized by Kim Kardashian, is just another term for a PRP facial. It is a microneedling procedure that involves covering the treatment area with the patient’s own platelet-rich plasma. Once a patient’s blood is drawn, it is placed in a centrifuge to isolate the platelets. This produces concentrated platelets that house many different growth factors. The growth factors are used to “trick” the body into regenerating itself and rejuvenating the skin. Throughout the microneedling process, the skin is covered in the PRP serum allowing the platelets to penetrate deeper into the skin.
The nickname Vampire Facial most likely stems from the fact that throughout the procedure your face is covered in PRP from your blood.
What can vampire facials help with?
On top of the regular benefits of the microneedling process such as the creation of new collagen and elastin producing a tightening effect of the skin, you can also experience the benefits of the PRP addition. Because of the cell regeneration triggered by the platelets, people often see a reduction in fine lines, wrinkles, age and sun spots, and acne scars.
Sneak Peek at my PRP Facial
DURING THE PROCEDURE
Not painful but definitely a little bit unsettling.
ONE WEEK AFTER
My face is glowing! I was very happy with the results!
Tips and Tricks
If you are going to get your own PRP/Vampire Facial here are a few tips for you based on my experience:
- Your skin will be mildly inflamed for a few days and then will likely peel for a couple more, so plan accordingly around events and activities.
- Protect your skin from the sun for up to a month afterwards using a good mineral sun screen.
- Plan on getting several treatments for optimal results.
- Hydrate well and avoid smoking for several weeks before the procedure (hopefully stop smoking forever!).
- Clear up any acne flare-ups before your appointment.
- Post-treatment, use organic, natural and nourishing skin care products for your daily routine such as The Spa Dr. Daily Essentials Skincare System.
To learn more about Dr. Amy Killen and PRP and stem cell procedures in Park City, Utah please visit: http://www.DocereMedical.com
Have you ever had a vampire facial? I’d love to hear about your experience!